Sunday, October 6, 2013

100 Days of Autumn


“We’re all scared, Professor Mosby.”
“Doesn’t being scared let you know you’re onto something important?”
“Yeah... I mean if you’re not scared, you’re not taking a chance. And if you’re not taking a chance, then what the hell are you doing, right?”

Words from “How I Met Your Mother.” Cheesy? Absolutely. But I feel that truer words could not be spoken about my feelings this week. I’m leaving in exactly 100 days (assuming that my departure date stays the same). Those that know me have heard all about how my moods have been swinging like a pendulum. Generally from extreme excitement to flat out panic. Moving is always stressful. But moving to a country I’ve never visited? That frequently feels psychotic. And... I’m going to do it anyway. I didn’t sign up for the Peace Corps expecting it to be easy. And it won’t be. 

I’ve already started the daunting task of organizing my life for mobilization. I’ve started selling my clothes, shoes, and (extensive) bag collection. I really don’t know why I ever thought that Chanel and Louis Vuitton were priorities. They certainly aren’t anymore, so I’m bidding them a confused farewell. I’m de-cluttering in any way I can. It’s weird to look around my apartment and see things that definitely won’t be contributing to the allotted 80 pounds of personal belongings. But more on that later.

I suffered a disappointment this week when I realized that it’s almost peak leaf season in Vermont. And that I won’t be home to see it. I tried to make a last-minute reservation to fly up there this weekend. Apparently everyone else had the same idea, as United was trying to swindle me out of $950 for a round trip ticket. Insane. So, sadly, it seems that I’ll miss fall in Vermont this year. If I could pick a season to live in for the last 100 days of my US residency, I would pick autumn. In Vermont. 

For now, I’ll continue fluctuating between excitement and panic. Luckily, I’m leaning more to the “excitement” side of things, despite the efforts of Peace Corps’ medical office. “Shots and blood work and dentists, oh my!”

Lastly, congress, if you could get yourselves sorted out so we can all access the Peace Corps server again, that’d be great. Thanks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment